|Intro||German agrarian historian, author and historian|
|Is||Historian, Agrarian historian, Author, Writer, Educator|
|Type||Academia, Literature, Social Science|
|Birth||19 July 1936 , Brünlos, Zwönitz, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony|
Wolfgang Böhm (born July 19, 1936 in Brünlos) is a German agricultural scientist.
As a university lecturer in crop cultivation at the Georg-August University in Göttingen, he has primarily emerged with work on root ecology and the history of science in his field. In addition, he has published anthologies of well-known poets and also published his own poems.
Wolfgang Böhm, the son of an Erzgebirge municipal official, graduated from the Städtische Boy Middle School in Hanover in 1953, then completed an apprenticeship as a chemical laboratory technician and then worked in a research laboratory of a chemical company in Seelze. After obtaining his university entrance qualification, in 1965 he began to study natural sciences at the Georg August University in Göttingen with a major in geography. In 1969 he passed the state examination with a written work on the life’s work of the Göttingen geographer Hermann Wagner.
In 1970, Böhm started a second degree at the agricultural faculty of the University of Göttingen. In 1971 he got a job as a research assistant at the Institute of Plant Cultivation and Plant Breeding. Under the aegis of Kord Baeumer, he did his doctorate there in 1973 with a thesis on the problems of phosphate fertilization and root growth in cereals. In the following years, root ecology, but above all the methods of examining the root growth of agricultural crops, were the focus of his research work in Göttingen. In 1975, on the occasion of a research stay at Iowa State University in Ames (USA), he developed the plan to develop a cross-disciplinary method manual for root examinations. He implemented this project within four years:Methods of Studying Root Systems has been the authoritative international standard work in the field of root ecology for two decades.
Böhm, who habilitated in 1980 and was appointed an extraordinary professor in 1985, worked at the Göttingen Chair of Plant Cultivation until 1997. During the last fifteen years of his university service, he mainly dealt with questions about the scientific history of crop production. He has published most of the research results in the “Journal for Agriculture and Crops”, in “Reports on Agriculture” and in the “Journal for Agricultural History and Agricultural Sociology”. One of the book publications is his Biographical Handbook on the History of Crop Production(1997) meanwhile on the most important works in the field of agricultural biography. Böhm has been heavily involved in the Society for Crop Science since 1980. From 1991 to 2005 he headed the “Working Group for the History of Science in Crop Production” of this specialist society.
As a friend of classic poetry, Böhm has published anthologies of poetry, including bibliophile volumes with poems by Eduard Mörike, Joseph von Eichendorff and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. He also published his own humorous verses about the human behavior of small and large actors in academic teaching and research.
- Studies on phosphate fertilization and the root growth of cereals in the arable system without tillage . Diss. Agr. Göttingen 1973. U 73.6168
- Methods of Studying Root Systems . (Ecological Studies Vol. 33), Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg and New York 1979. Reproductions 1983 and 1985. Edition in Polish, Warszawa 1985.
- Göttingen crop scientist. A bibliography . Publishing house I. Maier-Ruppert Regensburg 1988.
- Introduction to the history of science in crop production . Triade publishing house E. Claupein Göttingen 1990.
- Goals and ways of research in crop production. Commemorative publication for Kord Baeumer’s 65th birthday . Published by Wolfgang Böhm. Triade publishing house E. Claupein Göttingen 1991
- A life for crop science. Commemorative publication for Eduard von Boguslawski on his 90th birthday on December 30, 1995 . Published by Wolfgang Böhm and Martin Zoschke. Publisher Adelheid Böhm Göttingen 1995.
- Ewald Wollny. Groundbreaking for a new perspective on crop production . Publisher Adelheid Böhm Göttingen 1996.
- Contributions to the understanding of science in crop production. A bibliographical guide . Publisher Adelheid Böhm Göttingen 1996.
- Biographical handbook on the history of crop production , KG Saur Verlag Munich 1997.
- Poetry and agriculture. Masterpieces from yesteryear . Published by Wolfgang Böhm. Auretim Verlag Göttingen 2003, 2nd edition ibid. 2004.
- The global professor. Poems . Auretim Verlag Göttingen 2005.
- Kürschner’s German Scholarly Calendar 2007. Bio-bibliographical directory of contemporary German-speaking scientists . 21st edition, KG Saur Verlag, Munich 2007, Vol. I, p. 322.
- Kürschner’s German Literature Calendar 2006/2007 . 65th year, KG Saur Verlag, Munich and Leipzig 2007, Vol. I, pp. 112-113.
- Harry Knittel: The Working Group on the History of Science in Crop Production . In: Society for Crop Science 1956-2006. Commemorative publication for the 50th anniversary. Englram & Partner, Haßloch 2007, pp. 139–141 (with picture).